11.3.13

:I Doesn't Talk So Good:

Being a bit of a writer (to varying degrees, depending on whom you speak to), one of my pet peeves is words or phrases which people use or pronounce horribly. There are many of them in our lazy English,  so this is by no means a comprehensive list...but I just want to highlight the ones that came to mind (ironically enough, after hearing most of them in an interview on the radio).

Excetera-- this one doesn't make any sense at all, if you take a moment to look at the abbreviation, which is how we almost always write it nowadays. ETC. If it was supposed to be pronounced "excetera", it would likely have been abbreviated EXC. Also, it really sounds nothing like the Latin roots this phrase has, if you put the "x" in there.

Expresso--it's not super fast coffee, and it's not named because it gives you a bigger, faster caffeine kick. It has nothing to do with FAST anything. It's just a method of preparing coffee, and it's called ESPRESSO.

Probally--I'm pretty sure this ones the fault of our Internet and texting culture-- prlly goes back to just seeing it shortened like that a few too many times, and then it creeps into your speech before you know it. Funny enough, "prolly" (a variation on this one) shows up in many auto-correct programs, now.

Could Care Less--so are you trying to tell me you DO care about this, or that you DO NOT care about this? If it's the former, great. You did it! If it's the latter (which it usually is), I'm sorry, but you have it backwards. See, if I COULD care less about something, it means that I DO care for it, because I am capable of caring less than I currently do. However, if I COULD NOT care less about something, it means that I am literally incapable of caring less than I already do--in other words, I don't care (except that when it comes to the use of this phrase, I do care).

Inkstinct--really? You just made this word WAY more complicated than it has to be. Take it easy on yourself.

Ezackly-- here's one where you should take your "x" out of the first two words I mentioned, and stick it in here instead. There's never been a "z" in this word... And there's always been a "t" and an "x". I don't think Zack really has anything to do with whether or not something I said was bang-on-correct.

Axe a question--not sure what the purpose of swinging chopping tools at questions would be, but hey, if you want to do that, go ahead. Just remind me to keep a safe distance, in case that axe goes flying.

Irregardless-- this one is tricky, because it actually is a word. However, the definition of it in most dictionaries actually states that this word is a combination of two others, and that it is better off avoided, because it is sloppy English. So, regardless of what you may think, try sticking with "regardless" or "irrespective", instead.

Periphrial-- I, for one, never learned about periphrial vision in school. I remember learning about how we can see straight ahead, and how we have peripheral vision to see things on the fringes... But periphrial? If someone can explain to me what on earth that is, I'd appreciate  it.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, yes! The trouble is...since being in Germany for a year and a half now, I feel like my English grammar competence is diminishing :P I often switch words around or write stuff the wrong way while trying to think in another language. How embarrassing to fall into the very thing that's always been a pet peeve of mine!

    ReplyDelete