21.12.13

:Taxi:


My name is Sam, and even though I have been driving taxi for almost a year an a half, I have never actually taken a taxi anywhere.

So it's not that I can't actually hail a cab. It's just that I am usually the hailee, rather than the hailer

And here come the confessions: I wouldn't recommend taxi as an affordable method of transportation--which is why I have always found other means of mobility. I just can't justify the cost. Now, in a pinch, I think I could, or for some special occasion, but not as a general rule.

Which is interesting...my job is to peddle a service I myself am not keen on using. The service itself is great... Just highly costly if used often. In fact, it's actually considered to be a luxury service. As in, along with cable tv and Internet, it's a thing that we technically don't need to be able to afford, but all try to anyway (at least if you're the bar-hopping type). 

Also, when people ask me what I do for fun, and I explain that I play music, and write, and read, and hang out with my family, they don't believe me. They push to find out when I go out partying since I'm driving on the weekends, and, in fact, most nights of the week. I apparently have about the most boring-sounding social scene of many living human being; possibly even more boring than that of some dead humans (at least they get their own tv shows).

So, I work a luxury service job, in a seasonal tourist town, on commission, and have a deadbeat boring social life.

No wonder I can't hail a cab.

My name is Sam, and even though I have been driving taxi for almost a year an a half, I have never actually taken a taxi anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment